"Most obstacles melt away when we make up our minds to walk boldly through them."

-Orison Swett Marden

Monday, September 28, 2009

A Quick Medical Update

It's a Monday, so I had a visit from my nurse, Maureen. I just received my blood results:












For the most part everything is looking pretty good. My white blood cell results are artificially high because I got a shot called Neulesta, which essentially boosts one's immune system. The shot itself costs $4,000. Yes, the decimal is in the right place. Four thousand dollars. Luckily, $3,940 of it is covered by insurance. Can you believe that I need 6 of these? I am so grateful that my family has health coverage. I am finally getting over my cold, which long overstayed its welcome, as snot trickles its way down from my sinuses to my stomach. I am going in for my third round of chemo this Thursday. I have to stay at the hospital overnight, and frankly, I'm not excited. I'm not prepared for another round of mouth sores, achy bones and nausea, but ready or not, here it comes!

3 comments:

  1. Hey Gabi,
    Hope your chemo goes okay today. I mean, I hope it goes as well as chemo can go. I don't know you as well as some people do, but I know you to be a resilient and brave person, and I really admire your attitude (at least what you put on here) through all of this. Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Gabi:
    I heard about your blog from my daughter (one of your former teachers). How inspiring to read your entries! You will be in my prayers and your blog will be part of my daily blog visits. Hang in there! Just know that the rough ride ahead ends up being a short ride, in retrospect!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did your white blood cell shots give you pain in your bones? I know mine sure did! Its great to see you have such a positive attitude. Thats the best way to get through all this junk.

    I had Hodgkins Lymphoma also and believe me, I had some days when I broke down, but I really enjoyed your analogy about getting 1up in the game of life haha!!! Its tough being young and going through all the shit you have to deal with. But I guarantee that this is just a speed bump in your life. The past year for me was as hectic as I can imagine, Blood transfusions, Chemo, Injections, CBC's WAY TOO OFTEN. Constantly monitoring weight. I dont have to rant on here, you know exactly what I'm talking about! Check out my blog, I'm pretty sure that we have gone through very similar circumstances.

    Thanks for being such an inspiration and I really wish you luck in your journey! It looks like you are doing awesome and you will be done in no time!

    ReplyDelete