"Most obstacles melt away when we make up our minds to walk boldly through them."

-Orison Swett Marden

Monday, October 5, 2009

Justified Fear

The after-chemo nausea is definitely not supposed to last this long, or at least, it's never quite hit me like this before. I'm throwing up day and night as if it is an instant reflex to eating or drinking. I have trouble holding down water, and I can feel myself getting dehydrated. I've already lost my taste buds and six more pounds, and I can feel the mouth sores forming again.
When you step into the hospital, time seems to freeze and you might as well throw away your watch. Just because it is dark outside, you are not guaranteed sleep. Nurses operate like small elves, working tireless hours 'round the clock, coming in and out of your room, responding to the never-ending beeping of your pump. The chemo nurses wear full body protective layers, terrified that a drop of chemo will touch their skin, yet they have no problem pumping the same chemicals directly into your veins.

Given how I feel today, I understand their fear.

8 comments:

  1. Gabbers!

    I know its cheesey but hang tough. I love you so very much and I hope you know that. If you ever need an elf to cheer you up just call me.

    i love you more than dawna loves nutella


    izzy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gabi,

    Hold onto the thought that it will get better soon. You are 1/2 way done - the road in front of you is shorter than the one behind! I'm rooting for you and thinking all the positive thoughts I can send your way! Call or email if I can help!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gabi,

    I am so sorry the chemo is so tough right now. I think of you often and am sending as many positive thoughts as I can your way.

    You are 1/2 way done and you just have to be tough for a little longer. If I can do anything to help, call or email - anytime!

    Keep strong!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Keep your head up, Gabi.
    We're rooting for you over here.
    Mawi

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gabi-There's a quote by Richard E. Byrd that I keep on my desk that I thought you might like.
    "Few men during their lifetime come anywhere near exhausting the resources dwelling within them. There are deep wells of strength that are never used."
    I'm sorry that you are being forced to draw upon your "well of strength" not only for the illness but for the cure. However, I do believe that soon this will all be a memory -- and just a "drop in the bucket" of a long and happy life for you. Don't forget that you have resources on the outside as well--I'd like to believe that I'm one of them you can use at any time. Love you and thinking of you. XXXOOO

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gabi: There is a quote I keep on my desk by Richard E. Byrd that I thought you would like:
    "Few (wo)men during their lifetime come anywhere near exhausting the resources dwelling within them. There are deep wells of strength that are never used."
    I'm sorry that this illness, as well as the cure, are forcing you to dip into your "well of strength." I do firmly believe however that this will soon be a distant memory, a "drop in the bucket" of a long and happy life for you. Don't forget that you have resources on the "outside" as well. I'd like to believe that you view me as one of your outside resources you can use whenever the need arises. Love you Gabi ..XXXOOO

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gabi: On the medical side: SIdney suggests you tell your dentist or the chemo nurse about your mouth sores. One of them could prescribe Kenalog cream which could help.

    Keep up your great blog. You are an inspiration to us all. Thaks goodness for both modern medicine and modern technology.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! You are amazing! I don't think I could be as strong as you are if I were in the same situation. Keep fighting! Show that cancer who's boss!

    ReplyDelete