“Shit! That hurt!” I yelled as the nurse jabbed a very thick and very long needle up my arm.
“Sorry we couldn’t access your port. We didn’t want to clog it up with contrast.”
I closed my eyes and was overcome with a warm sensation. The dye was working. The thin table that I was lying on automatically slid forward. When I opened my eyes, there were only six inches between my face and the walls of the scanner. This is it, I thought to myself. This test would determine whether or not my body was still infested with cancer. If this were the case, I would need radiation and perhaps more chemotherapy. I felt unprepared. This wasn’t the kind of test I could study for.
The table automatically slid back. “Hold your breath,” said a monotone female voice. My upper body steadily moved out of the mouth of the humungous donut. It was now scanning my pelvis.
The ring shape of the machine that surrounded my body reminded me of a folktale from my childhood:
King Solomon once requested that his most trusted minister fetch him a very special ring. “You see,” he said, “this ring has magical powers. If a happy man looks at it, he becomes sad, and if a sad man looks at it, he becomes happy." The king knew that no such thing existed, but he hoped to give his minister a sense of humility.
Spring and summer came and went, and still the minister had no idea where to find such a ring. One night, as he was walking through the poorest quarters of Jerusalem, he came across an old merchant who was laying out his goods on a shabby rug. "Have you by any chance heard of a magic ring that makes the happy wearer forget his joy and the broken-hearted wearer forget his sorrows?" The old man selected a fine gold ring from his collection and engraved something on it. Upon reading it, the minister smiled.
"Well, my friend," said Solomon, "have you found what I sent you after?" All the other ministers snickered and Solomon himself grinned.
"Here it is, your majesty!"
As Solomon read the inscription, the smile vanished from his face. The merchant had written three Hebrew letters on the gold band: gimel, zayin, and yud, which began the words "Gam zeh ya'avor" -- "This too shall pass."
My scans came back negative, and I am now officially in remission. I wish I had remembered this tale much earlier in my journey, through all of my pain, tears, mucositis, infections, neutropenia, fainting, fatigue, transfusions, bruising, bleeding, loneliness, and fear because this too did pass. I’m over this bump and moving forward on this winding road we call life. On Sunday, I’m returning to school, I’ve been accepted to a college, and eating no longer hurts. Now, if only someone would tell my nose hairs to get their furry asses back into my nostrils, my life would be much more pleasant.
I am thankful for how much this cancer transformed my family. My younger brother has practically become my older one, as he is constantly looking out for me and reminding me to take my meds; my father has transformed from a virtual workaholic to overly protective nurse, caretaker, and friend; and my mother has always been with me for every blood draw, procedure, and emergency room visit, always bringing with a supply of food to meet my special dietary needs. I am thankful for learning the definition of true friends: the ones who ditch school to accompany me to the hospital, the ones who go out of their way to pay me surprise visits, the ones who join me on long walks in the Botanic Gardens, and the ones who make me delicious muffins, gheimeh, mandel bread, plum tart, pumpkin bread, and soup. I am thankful to all of the wonderful doctors, nurses, and hospital staff who took such wonderful care of me. I am also thankful to my aunt Tania, who was particularly instrumental in my diagnosis. Lastly, I would like to thank you, dear readers, for sticking with me for so long.
Soon after being afflicted with this disease, I realized that I was fortunate to be receiving the great healthcare that I received. With the knowledge that not every child battling Hodgkin’s Lymphoma is as fortunate as I am, I wanted to make a difference. Approximately six weeks ago, I was granted a wish by the Make a Wish Foundation (http://www.wish.org/). My wish was to save a life. Currently, I am waiting to hear back from them as to if and how they can help me accomplish my wish, and I hope to report back to you in the near future. Perhaps this blog will continue with a second life, dedicated to that worthy cause.
The great Persian poet Rumi once said, “What strikes the oyster shell does not damage the pearl.” My bald head and spirit are shining with all their might. Now that I am this much closer to a full recovery, I must always remember never to take my health for granted. Gam zeh ya'avor.

Matt holding my hand before my CT scan.
DAWWWW!!
ReplyDeleteI love the last picture.
Congratulations, Gabi! Can't wait to see you soon!
You are extraordinary.
ReplyDeleteI cannot wait to see you back in 04, bummin' around with us!
[Also, I love you and Matt]
YIPPEE,HORRAY,MAZEL TOV, PHEW!!!!!!!!! The Aeders
ReplyDeleteI am weeping with joy! Fabulous news; beautiful analogy!!
ReplyDeleteGabi,
ReplyDeleteThat's fantastic news!
I am so happy for you.
You are one amazing woman!
All the best from Australia
Aleks
Awesome! Thanks to Modern Medicine and God.
ReplyDeleteCongratulations!!! I'm so happy for you.
ReplyDeleteStay strong.
Dan
Gabi,
ReplyDeleteI am so thankful that you will be returning on Monday.
eric
Gabi,
ReplyDeleteWonderful news! I am so happy for you and your family. What a beautiful post. You certainly have a gift for writing. I hope you will continue.
Enjoy your last semester of High School. Kevin will be there next week so I will have him hug you for me!
Andrea Franks
Happy New Year!
ReplyDeleteWe are elated to have received the wonderful news that Gabi does not need any further Hodgkin’s related treatment, including radiation. Except for scans every few months, Gabi is free to resume her normal life.
No challenge can be greater than that of parents facing a serious illness of a child. For many months prior to the day that Gabi entered Inova Children’s Hospital in Fairfax Virginia, we had an inkling that something was amiss, yet none of us dreamt of the possibility that she could be afflicted with something as serious as cancer.
Much has happened since Gabi’s diagnosis, and while 2009 did present its challenges, it also gave us a lot to be thankful for.
I was independent by nature and never comfortable accepting help from others. I liked to think of myself as a giver, not a taker. The stakes surrounding cancer made me realize that some challenges are just too great to face by oneself. Pride no longer mattered. Today’s good news comes as a result of the sincere efforts of many people.
I am most thankful to Gabi. Gabi demonstrated exemplary behavior under extreme pressure and I could not be more proud of her. Caring for someone who is ill is normally difficult. Gabi however made the task easy. Rarely did she complain, and even when she was at her weakest, she was able to maintain a sense of humor and dignity. Her positive attitude throughout was inspiring beyond belief. Parents are supposed to teach their children. I have learned much from Gabi.
Frequently I found that I could not give Ben the attention he deserved. His understanding at these times proved his being a loving brother and son.
I am thankful to my sister Tania for assisting in the diagnosis of Gabi. Without her keen diagnostic sense, Gabi would have gone back to school and the disease would no doubt have progressed further.
Gabi’s doctors (led by Dr. Jim Nachman) and nurses at the University of Chicago were the very best. They were always accessible, caring and straight talking, and we will forever be thankful to them for their efforts. Nothing was ever too much trouble and we felt like they treated us like they would have treated their own family. Other medical professionals also played important roles, for their support was instrumental in the recovery.
I am thankful to Loren for her support.
I am thankful to our friends who supported Gabi in so many ways: from sending letters, calling often to find out how she was doing, sending her cards and gifts and coming to visit her. Others delivered food to our home on a regular basis. The outpouring of generosity was beyond imagination. Just knowing that so many of you were on standby was unbelievably strengthening.
I am particularly thankful to Gabi’s friends. Their support was critical and their loyalty never wavered. They were there for her throughout this ordeal.
A big thank you to IMSA, Gabi’s school for their understanding of her situation. Upon learning of Gabi’s condition, they immediately offered their assistance to do whatever they could to help salvage her senior year. They went beyond what anyone could have wished for.
I have so much to be thankful for. I am so lucky to have parents who put their lives on hold and came to Chicago to offer me their help. I am so fortunate to have a wonderful business partner who understands of my situation. I am so very fortunate to work with so many great people, fortunate to have caring friends and lucky to live in the greatest country with so many opportunities and such a great medical care system. Most importantly though, I am so very blessed to have two incredible children – Gabi and Ben.
As we passed this important milestone, Ben and I went to synagogue last night to give thanks.
It is a great start to my new year, and I’d like to wish all of you a happy and healthy 2010. I want you to know that I will be forever grateful.
Leon
Gabi,
ReplyDeleteThis is a wonderful day, knowing that you have overcome your illness and done so with courage and style.
It is an example to all who know you.
This is a beginning to a new chapter in your life when you will, no doubt, forge ahead in the Great Baldini manner.
Zelda and Issy.
Now this is a way to start 2010!
ReplyDeleteWe are so happy for you Gabi and relieved this chapter in your life is over. Been thinking about you all along the way and, of course, reading your blog religiously.
You are an inspiration to us all!
Wishing you a perfect health and lots of happiness,
Assaf, Raphaelle and Einat
Hooray for you Gabi! You've been in my prayers and I couldn't be happier for you! You are an amazing girl, now go get 'em... but keep blogging so we know how you're doing and watch you become an incredible inspiration to so many! Happy New Year, it looks like 2010 is going to be a good one!
ReplyDeleteGabi, I have followed your blog from day one and when a week or so went by and there were no posts I would become so worried about you. You are one tough cookie, and you have such a bright future ahead of you! Your last post brought tears to my eyes and I am so happy for you and your family...
ReplyDeleteGabi, thank you for sharing your wonderful news. I don't think a day has gone by that I hadn't thought about your journey. Although we've never met in person, I will be forever grateful for knowing of your challenges and your victory. You have earned the title "survivor" and you've taught us all what's possible when you realize "this too shall pass." Thank you. Peggy Kasallis
ReplyDeleteGabi I am so happy for you!
ReplyDeleteI am honestly crying with joy as I am reading this- your blog has always been so inspirational and clever, but what is even more special is reading the comments you are getting- it is clear you have touched so many peoples lives, and your work as the great baldini will clearly live on!
love,
Ariel Messeca
I shed a tear from that picture of Matt holding your hand :]
ReplyDeleteAnd yayyy! Congratz x2309482! :D
I love your spirit, Gabi.
-Joly Wu
Dear Gabi, Filled with joy that you have recovered, you have been an inspiration to all, pamela
ReplyDeleteGabi,
ReplyDeleteThere are no words to express the awe I feel when reading your blog. It is inconceivable that one so young can be so wise, have so much faith, display such humor, remain so stoic, be such an inspiration to others and have the gift of expressing it magnificently.
You are a very special person and I wish you all the best in your future. I hope you will continue your blog to inspire others.
Happy New Year and I can't imagine hearing better news!
ReplyDeleteGabi, so glad you are on the yellow brick road onto your next journey.
Inspriation, doesn't quite say how I fell after reading your blog.
All good things!
Bernadette
Dearest Cousin. We are rejoicing with you!! You are a beautiful and wise soul and we know that this journey will take you far. We send love and hugs from Africa. Sue, Albert, Josephine and Bella. P.S. Will be meeting with your Granny and Grandpa tomorrow for a good catch up.
ReplyDeleteYou have inspired people from all over the world with your courage, dignity and style.
ReplyDeleteYou are an example of todays strong woman, forging ahead with confidence in everything you do. Yet you remain sweet and gentle. All this comes through in your eloquent words.
I wish you joy and success and good health in your future.
Gabi,
ReplyDeleteWe miss reading about you. We are thrilled that you are well now, but still want to hear from you. Reading your blog was like reading a wonderful novel, where we got to know the heroine personally. PLEASE do not stop writing or, at least, put it in the form of a book.
We wish you all the best.
Gabi,
ReplyDelete"This too shall pass" is my favorite saying. Congratulations on everything- you courage, recovery, and witty and wonderful writing.
HPHS misses you but I'm glad you're doing so well!! ( I thought of you as I watched the Australian Open today!)
best wishes,
Nessa
Where O where is the Great Baldini?
ReplyDeleteI miss hearing from her and being inspired by her.
Gabi I am so thrilled with the news. You are amazing and have been through the ringer. The rest of your life will seem like a piece of cake as long as you remember what you and your family have been through. Like you wouldn't remember? There are lots of lessons in life and sometimes it takes years or a life time to understand them. What you have experienced at such a young age has really taught me a lot. I will never take any thing for granted again and I will always look at the glass as 1/2 full instead of 1/2 empty. You have taught so many people so many important things in life. I am sorry you were the one who had to deal with this crap in order to change so many peoples attitudes in and on life. Bravo girl, there's no stopping you now. Mallory told me the schools you got into and I'm so happy for you but not at all surprised. Gilve me a call asap! I can't wait to talk to you and hear your cancer free voice! XOXO "Miss" Liz
ReplyDelete